For adventure junkies and those who crave to be in the wild, Indonesia is heaven. Massive untouched tropical rainforests that are still completely wild and look exactly like they did hundreds of years ago are commonplace. You can climb active volcanoes, swim with turtles and sharks in the open ocean, see komodo dragons (the largest living lizard species in the world) in the wild, and dive into shipwrecks just off the island coasts.
Some must see places from around the country, other than the major cities on the various islands:
- Mount Bromo and the volcanic crater, and the volcanic scenery of the Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park.
- Komodo Island National Park, home to the Komodo Dragons.
- Borobudur, one of the largest and most beautiful Buddhist temples in the world.
- Gili Islands off the coast of Lombok, which are three tiny droplets of land with beautiful beaches.
- Lake Toba, which is the world’s largest volcanic lake and Baliem valley in Papua, which has some amazing trekking routes and remote tribes.